The March 12th, 2019 edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Nutter Center in Dayton, OH.
– Shane McMahon comes out to the ring to kick off tonight’s show. We see some clips of Shane turning on Miz last night, and then Shane gets on the mic in the ring. The ‘Best In The World’ trophy is next to Shane in the ring. Shane tells the ring announcer to step in the ring with him, and he whispers something in his ear. He announces Shane as “the best in the world,” and the crowd boos. Shane then grabs the announcer by the jacket, and tells him to say it like he means it. He announces Shane as the best in the world again, and now Shane grabs him by the face and tells him to say it with conviction. He does it a third time, and Shane approves this time. Shane says a lot of people are asking him why he beat-down Miz, and he says it was because he’s sick of it. Shane says he’s sick of everyone in his life wanting to use him to get ahead. Shane says the fans don’t appreciate what he does for them every day, and all the wrestlers and the thousands of WWE employees. Shane says that all stopped Sunday, when he beat the hell out of The Miz in his own hometown. Shane says he’s not the best in the world because he won a trophy or the Tag Team Championships, he’s the best in the world because he was born that way. Shane calls Miz’s dad a baked potato face, and talks about choking out The Miz. Shane says he’s doing things for himself for now on, and it felt good on Sunday.
– Still to come: Vince McMahon has a WrestleMania opportunity for Kofi Kingston.
– The Bar, Shinsuke Nakamura, & Rusev vs. Aleister Black, Ricochet, & The Hardy Boyz: Matt hits a flying leg drop on Sheamus early on, then Jeff tags in for the double team for a two count on Sheamus. Rusev tags in next, then Cesaro, Rusev and Nakamura all trade tags to take turns beating on Jeff in the corner. Jeff finally ducks a shot and hits a jawbreaker on Rusev, then he tags in Ricochet. Ricochet hits a hurricanrana on Rusev, then a dropkick and a spear in the corner. Ricochet kicks Nakamura off the apron, and Rusev capitalizes on the distraction and hits Ricochet down to the ringside floor. Sheamus tags in now and works over Ricochet. Ricochet fights back, but then Cesaro tags in. Cesaro knocks Black off the apron, then Ricochet hits a back body drop on Cesaro. Matt Hardy gets the tag and he repeatedly slams Cesaro’s head into the aprons. Jeff tags in for the Poetry in Motion on Cesaro, then Matt hits the Side Effect on Cesaro too. Everyone runs in from the aprons and Jeff (the legal man) clears the ring. Jeff hits the Twist of Fate on Cesaro, then hits the Swanton Bomb off the top, but Sheamus breaks up the pin. The New Day runs in now and they start brawling with The Bar, Nakamura and Rusev. The ref calls for the bell.
Winners via DQ: The Bar, Shinsuke Nakamura, & Rusev
– Kofi, Big E and Xavier continue to beat down The Bar, Rusev and Nakamura after the bell.
– We see a pre-taped promo from The Usos where they say they see The New Day in the ring trying to take what’s not theirs. They call out all the teams who were just in the match, and welcome them to the Uso Penitentiary.
– Randy Orton comes out to the ring and gets on the mic, and he says there’s something he has to get off his chest. Orton takes issue with SmackDown being called “the house that AJ Styles built.” Orton says in 2002, AJ was wrestling in high schools gyms while Orton was wrestling on SmackDown. Orton says in 2005, AJ was tanning in Florida with Dixie Carter, while Orton was fighting with people like The Undertaker on SmackDown. Orton says he’s been here and been a Champion, and this house was built long before AJ ever step foot in this ring. Orton says this is the house that Randy Orton built. AJ Styles comes out to interrupt. AJ gets in the ring and says that Orton is right that he did come from the indies, and he’s proud of it. He says Orton wouldn’t have lasted in his world, with his posing and his rip-off Diamond Cutter. Orton says his indie pals ripped off WWE wrestlers, and AJ answers saying he’s surrounded by them now in WWE and they didn’t go to their father for a job like Orton did. Orton says he accomplished more than AJ could dream of. AJ says Orton had babysitters throughout his career like Evolution, Edge, and The Wyatt Family. Orton says AJ is renting a room in his house, and rent is due, and he calls AJ a son of a bitch. AJ tells Orton to take his rent from him, and he points to the WrestleMania sign. Orton stares him down, then leaves.
– Asuka vs. Sonya Deville: Mandy Rose is at ringside for this non-Title match. Asuka looks for an ankle lock early on, but Sonya shoves her away and connects with some kicks. Deville hits a dropkick and then a spear for a two count. Asuka rolls outside and drops Mandy on the floor. Sonya follows, and there’s a mix-up when Sonya is getting back in the ring. Asuka puts Sonya in the Asuka Lock on the mat for the win via submission.
– Mandy and Sonya disagree after the match, and Mandy storms off.
– Becky Lynch comes out to the stage and tosses her crutch aside. She heads down to the ring and gets on the mic. She says everyone was tough when she was injured, but now they’re scared of her now that she’s healthy. She says she played mind games with Ronda Rousey and Ronda fell for it. Charlotte comes out to interrupt. Charlotte congratulates Becky on getting herself added to her main event. Charlotte says she’s the one who will get the job done at WrestleMania, and fans only cheer for Becky because they feel sorry for her. Becky tells her to shut her mouth and says she’ll be the one leaving WrestleMania the Women’s Champion.
– WWE Champion Daniel Bryan and Rowan are shown leaving Vince McMahon’s locker room. Bryan says he gave McMahon his feedback about Kofi possibly being added to his WrestleMania match. He says McMahon responded by putting him and Rowan in a tag match against Kevin Owens and Mustafa Ali later tonight.
– R-Truth & Rey Mysterio vs. Samoa Joe & Andrade: Carmella and Zelina are at ringside for this one. Rey starts off strong against Andrade, but Joe gets the blind tag and levels Rey. Joe tees off on Rey with strikes, then Andrade tags back in for a series of suplexes on Mysterio. Andrade wastes some time and Rey comes back with a sunset flip powerbomb. Zelina tries to get involved, but Carmella pulls her out to the ringside floor. Truth gets the tag and hits some shoulder blocks and a back suplex on Andrade, followed by the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Truth goes for the Attitude Adjustment, but Joe tags himself in on Andrade’s back. Truth hits some kicks on Joe, but then he misses a clothesline and Joe fires back with a kick of his own. Rey tags in and hits a kick on Joe, then Andrade runs in, which leads to Rey hitting a double 619 on both Joe and Andrade. Rey hits the frog splash on Andrade, but Joe is the legal man and he hits a splash on Rey. Joe picks up Rey, but Rey reverses into a small package pin for the three count.
Winners: R-Truth & Rey Mysterio
– Rey quickly exits the ring and celebrates his win on the ramp. After the match, Joe hits suplexes on both Truth and Andrade. Rey helps Truth walk up the ramp.
– Kevin Owens & Mustafa Ali vs. Daniel Bryan & Rowan: Owens and Bryan start this one off, and Owens hits a shoulder block and a senton drop early on. Bryan quickly tags in Rowan who connects with some body shots on Owens. Ali tags in and connects with a kick to the face of Rowan. Rowan misses a couple shots, but then connects with a cross body on Ali. Rowan knocks Owens off the apron, then Bryan tags back in to continue the offense on Ali. Ali finally fights back and Owens gets back on the apron. Ali hits a backstabber on Bryan, but Rowan breaks up the pin with a stomp on Ali. Owens runs in and superkicks Rowan, then Owens and Ali double superkick Rowan to ringside. Rowan slams Owens on the apron as Ali and Bryan go at it in the ring. Rowan gets the blind tag, then he slams Ali down by the head for the three count.
Winners: Rowan & Daniel Bryan
– As Bryan and Rowan are walking up the ramp, Vince McMahon’s music hits, and the WWE Chairman walks out. He walks past Rowan and Bryan, and struts down to the ring. McMahon grabs a mic, and we see a video package looking at Kofi’s recent matches. Vince says people hear what they want to hear, and Vince never really said he would put Kofi in the WWE Title match at WrestleMania. Vince says he gave Kofi a chance, and Kofi failed, and it was a teachable moment. The New Day comes out to interrupt. Big E gets on the mic and says they aren’t in the mood for Vince to teach them anything. Vince tells him to watch his mouth, and Woods says they’re sick of it. Big E adds that they do everything WWE asks of them, and Woods says Vince treats them like garbage. Big E says Kofi deserves more. Vince says Kofi doesn’t deserve a damn thing, and neither does the New Day or the fans. Vince says the fans don’t deserve to breath in and out, and neither does he. Vince says he created SmackDown and all of this, and he may as well created heaven and earth, but no one deserves a damn thing. Big E says this issue is bigger than McMahon’s ego, but McMahon says nothing is bigger than his ego. Woods pleads his case to McMahon, and Big E says the WWE Universe demands that Kofi has a Title match. Vince says that if Kofi was worth of being in a Championship match, it would have happened a long time ago. Vince says what Kofi does in the ring is incredible, and he’s an extraordinary athlete. Vince says that Kofi will be in the Hall of Fame one day, but not as himself, it’ll be as a member of The New Day. Vince says Kofi’s age is a factor against him, and he implies that Kofi lets the younger New Day members do all the work while Kofi takes the glory. Vince says he talked to Daniel Bryan earlier, and Bryan was right when he said that Kofi is a good “B+ player.” Kofi tells Vince he’s not asking for a free ride or demanding a Title shot. Kofi talks about the sacrifices he made and never complaining. Kofi says Vince never let someone like him compete for the WWE Title. Kofi says what he needs Vince to do, is tell him what he can do to get a Title shot. Randy Orton comes out to the stage, and Vince says Kofi has to beat that man, and then he goes to the promised land. Then Samoa Joe comes out, and Vince says he must beat Joe too. Sheamus and Cesaro come out next, and Vince says he must beat them too. Rowan joins them on the stage, and Vince says Kofi must beat him too. He says Kofi will face all of those men next week in a gauntlet match. They all run down the ramp and hit the ring now and brawl with The New Day. The New Day manages to clear the ring after beating down everyone in their sight. Kofi yells from the ring at Bryan on the ramp as SmackDown goes off the air.
UPDATE: NEW Hosts For WWE Hall Of Fame 2019 Induction Ceremony Revealed
(Follow us on Twitter @RajahNews & Matt Boone @MattBoone1984 for more exclusive backstage wrestling news and rumors!)