“The brutal actions shows the extent of impunity in which the state security forces acted along with organized crime,” declared Carlos Beristain, one of the five investigators.
Felipe de la Cruz, a spokesperson for the parents of the missing students, said on Sunday that the families are demanding a meeting with the Mexican president, noting: “His Cabinet lied.”
President Enrique Peña Nieto, for his part, claimed following the release of the report that he is ordering investigators to consider the recommendations.
But rights campaigners raised serious concerns about the government’s trustworthiness. The investigators had previously criticized the Mexican government for refusing to cooperate with the investigation–and complained that key evidence was disappeared or destroyed.
“This report provides an utterly damning indictment of Mexico’s handling of the worst human rights atrocity in recent memory,” said José Miguel Vivanco, Americas director at Human Rights Watch. “Even with the world watching and with substantial resources at hand, the authorities proved unable or unwilling to conduct a serious investigation.”
Erika Guevara-Rosas, Americas Director at Amnesty International, expressed agreement: “Mexico is going through one of the worst human rights crisis of the last decades. The catalogue of failures in the search and investigation over the disappearance of the 43 students that the experts have reported is a massive stain on the Mexican government’s reputation, which they can only begin to reverse if they find those responsible.”
The disappearances of the students, who all hail from a teacher’s college, touched off massive nationwide protests against corruption, violence, and poverty.
Our work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. Feel free to republish and share widely.